Italy, a peninsula in Europe, which by its geographical configuration has a boundary between Europe and Africa, remained attached to the European Continent. Despite the great mountain ranges on the North, it has an area of 301 340 km2 and a population of 61,290,100 inhabitants. The capital city is Rome which has 20 regions: Valle d'Aosta, Piemonte, Liguria, Lombardia, Trentino-Alto Adige, Veneto, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Emilia-Romagna, Toscana, Marche, Umbria, Lazio, Abruzzo, Molise, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, Calabria, Sicilia and Sardinia.


In 1904, it was the 50th anniversary of the proclamation of the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception; the Foundresses came on pilgrimage to Rome and had a desire to found a novitiate in Italy. They bought a house in Tivoli, thinking to send some sisters from Mexico as soon as possible but did not manage. In 1905 they returned to Mexico, continuing the mission.

 Comunità in ritiro Casa Provinciale

 

The Mother Foundress, Maria Ernestina Larráinzar Córdoba who carried over the wishes of her sister M. Enriqueta, called a General Council in Albis on 26 April 1908 to meet and appoint some sisters who could get involved with the Foundation of a new community in Tivoli, Italy. These were Mother Vicenta Pinzón, Maria Del Carmen Calderón, María Luz Herrera, María Gertrudis Luvian (novice).

On 25 June they went to Veracruz, the next day 26th Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, at three o’clock in the afternoon (solemn prayer for all Daughters of Calvary) the steamboat was sinking into the vast sea, our Mother Ernestina comforted and encouraged them, (the powerful voice of obedience led them to Italy!). On 22 July, the day that we “DAUGHTERS OF CALVARY" celebrate the feast of our patroness Saint Maria Magdalena, they landed in Genoa ... lastly on 24 July they arrive at the heart of Italy; the eternal city! They Visited the Basilica of St. Mary Major, the Vatican and Cardinal Vives, our protector. On 26 June at one p.m. they arrived to Tivoli where they found the apartment ready in the Palace in Zocconi Street Seminar 23.

On 26 November 1908 the Sisters asked for permission from the Curia Episcopal to open a Novitiate and it was approved on 2 February 1909 with the admission of the first 4 candidates named; Mª Porreta Sacramento Mª, Ma Maddalena Martelli, Mª Di Gesù Mancini and Mª Teresa Urilli. 

This house was a home Procurement and Novitiate, and was approved by decree of King Vittorio Emanuele III as the Procurement Generalate on 17 April 1931. In 1958 this house was transferred to Rome near St. John Lateran Square Castroreale, 1.

Meanwhile, the house of Tivoli continued with Novitiate activities, a section was used for the care of infant children, the other part was for pastoral activities of the parish and after some years it was allocated to meet the elderly sisters´ needs. Finally the house was closed on 4 November 1992 it was no more suitable for them. In 1968 they opened a new house in Via Giulio Galli, this was to cater for the sick and elderly sisters of the Province as a replacement for the house of Tivoli.

The Lord granted the Congregation many vocations and several communities were opened but at this present they no longer exist. We are grateful to the Lord for the sisters who worked for the sake of “the good of the neighbor" thereby fulfilling the word of Mother Ernestina.

The communities which the sisters worked are;
Cinolfi Poggio 1917 (L'Aquila), 1918, Tivoli (RM)1919, Civitella d'Agliano (Bagnoregio), 1923 Pereto (L'Aquila), 1928 Villinfreda (Tivoli), to Sgurgola (Frosinone), Grafignano (Bagnoregio), 1931 Castiglione in Teverina (Bagnoregio), 1935 San venanzo (Orvieto), 1944 Scanzano dei Marsi (Abruzzo), 1945 to Canosa di Puglia (Andria), 1946 Baschi (Terni), 1949 to Castel Fagnano (Calabria), Gioiella (Perugia), 1950 to Peschici (Foggia), Cesi di Terni (Spoleto), 1952 Borgata Labaro (Rome), 1953 to Sante Maria (L'Aquila), 1954 Loconia-Canosa (Andria ), Ca'Emo (Rovigo), 1955 Lecce, 1958 Cerignola (Foggia), 1959 Procure General House (Rome) in San Michele (Bagnoreggio).

Currently the Province has 10 communities spread over three regions: Lazio, Umbria and Puglia and one in Mexico which caters for the Mexican sisters when they visit their families.

 

 

Cerignola

Cerignola one of the Italian towns and it belongs to the province of Foggia (FG) under Cerignola Diocese. The sisters opened a house on 1 November 1958 in response to the request of Father Rosario Pagano, Sac. Capuchin.

Read more: Cerignola

Labaro Monti Via Giulio Frascheri

It is very close to the other house (Constantinian), is situated in the northern part of Labaro Frascheri Monti Street. The area is occupied by many immigrants; it has soon developed to a considerable extent and has spread far into the region of the Borgata.

Read more: Labaro Monti Via Giulio Frascheri

Canosa di Puglia

Canosa di Puglia is situated in the province of Barletta-Andria-Trani (BAT) under Bari. A vice priest Francesco Minerva who was in charge of the cathedral invited the sisters who arrived at this place on 21 November 1945 it was  immediately after the 2nd  war world. Mrs. Magdalene Minerva the blood sister of this priest welcomed the sisters in Canosa which belongs to the Diocese of Andria.

Read more: Canosa di Puglia

Labaro Monti Via Costantiniana

It is an area located on the outskirts of Rome, populated by immigrants from other countries who have come in search of work and settled there. It belongs to the Diocese of Rome.

Read more: Labaro Monti Via Costantiniana

Civitella d’Agliano

Civitella d'Agliano is in the province of Viterbo, with an approximate distant of 30 km from the central. The community was founded on 4 October 1919 in order to be devoted to the education of infants and for pastoral work. It belongs to the Diocese of Bagnoregio.

Read more: Civitella d’Agliano

Novitiate

The novitiate is within the premises of the Provincial house (Cassia Street) but separated from the other house. It started to operate on 15 September 1993.

Read more: Novitiate

Ladispoli

The house is located some 50 km from Rome, in the Diocese of Porto and Santa Rufina, the place was quite uninhabited, until recently it has been restocked. It has established a new parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which initially begun in the chapel of the sisters.

Read more: Ladispoli

Provincial House

The Provincial House is located in Rome at Giulio Galli Street, 30 this was established since 1968. It belongs to the Diocese of Porto and Santa Rufina.

Read more: Provincial House

Projects CMFC

JoomSpirit